History

Coromandel Valley in 1912 – Baptist Church on the right

  • 12 December 1858: Coromandel Valley Baptist Church established by Mr & Mrs W Maddern, Mr & Mrs Alexander Murray (senior) and Mr John Hammond. They met in the former school room which was on the site of Coromandel Valley Cemetery.
  • 1872: Sunday School established.
  • 1881-1895: Services held in the Coromandel Valley Institute.
  • 1895: New building at corner of Crane Avenue and Main Road opened for services. The new building had a baptistry. Previously baptisms had been performed in the Sturt Creek.
  • 1954: Memorial Hall built in honour of those who served in World War II.
  • 1955: Hawthorndene Baptist Church planted by some younger people from the church.
  • 198X ?? – The church merged with Hawthorndene Baptist Church to create “Coromandel Valley and Hawthorndene Baptist Church”. The former building of the Hawthorndede church on Pasteur Avenue was sold and is now a private dwelling.
  • 198X ??: The congregation outgrow the small church building on Crane Ave/Main Road and start meeting at New Creation Teaching Ministeries on Ackland Hill Road, Coromandel East.
  • XXXX: Church is renamed “Coromandel Baptist Church”
  • 1997: Building on Crane Ave/Main Road was sold to Coromandel Uniting Church, who redeveloped it as part of their current site.
  • 2013: Following the dissolution of New Creation Teaching Ministeries, the church purchased and renovated the buildings on Ackland Hill Road where we currently meet.

Sources:

Baptist Churches in Mitcham, by Mitcham Local History Service and Heritage Research Centre (July 2006)